South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

seahorse tank?

4 posters

Go down

seahorse tank? Empty seahorse tank?

Post  mandy&son 23rd June 2009, 12:49 am

This marine keeping is getting so easy,every where i have been or what i have seen has either made it seem very hard or impossible!It's not,so far!
I want to set up a tank for seahorses,a tank for these isn't a problem,knowledge is!I have been on the net to several sites and would like to read what is said here so i can make an informed judgement on what to do.
Can any one tell me the what and whys for keeping seahorses.This started as a tank so my son could keep nemos,but i want one now and i love sea horses and it was so scary at the start and after the first problem came up and the PH advice fixed it so easily i am very confidant now.
I love showing off my sons tank to the family,they can't believe it Very Happy Very Happy
ps,The cheatodon(i know a latin word now) its doing very good,not much fighting any more.Should i get another fish for my sons tank,my mum wants to buy him one,after she condemed it and said i was waisting money in the first place! Laughing

mandy&son

Back to top Go down

seahorse tank? Empty Re: seahorse tank?

Post  DeadSled 23rd June 2009, 3:44 am

For what its worth.. i personally wouldn't get a Seahorse / Set up a Seahorse tank. Despite that females seem to be utterly in love with them, i think their bloody boring to look at.

I know that the local caught ones are hard to get eating, if not impossible.. or so i've heard. I had one a while ago, and it didn't ever eat. Not only that, all it did was sit there in the same spot all day long.

I'd much rather fish.
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  neman 23rd June 2009, 4:59 am

your local fsh shop can order in captive bred seahorses which should already be feeding and readily excpet frozen brineshrimp ,most shops either sell them.like pet city mt gravatt they always have sea horses (captive bred) most sea horses can be kept with easy going peaceful fish Very Happy

neman

Back to top Go down

seahorse tank? Empty opinions

Post  mandy&son 23rd June 2009, 10:40 am

I appreciate the different opnions,i would really like to know if there are any special ways in which you keep these(girly) lol! sea horses?

Do you just put them in a ordinary fish tank?

Can they go in with what kinds of fish and when i went to that shop they were a little rude,i found that holland park store a little nicer,thats just me i suppose.

mandy&son

Back to top Go down

Post  neman 23rd June 2009, 11:36 am

keep them with peacefull fish like mandarin dragonets or blennies /goobies and make sure the filter is not to strong for them to get sucked into as there not the best swimmers .and cant compete for food against fast swiming fish like damsels. and angels.and so on

you couild set up a species only tank ie seahorses only and have a few peices of liverock in ther a few soft corals,really there keepong is very similiar to fish but just require a little more care and feeding small amounts at a time as for being girly you do know the males are the ones that carry the babies and alos give birth .so there is hope for us men yet at actually giving birth

neman

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled 23rd June 2009, 3:36 pm

Neman,

If you want to try giving birth yourself well, i'll leave that to you but i'll pass on that one Laughing
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

seahorse tank? Empty ouch that sounds painful

Post  Admin 24th June 2009, 2:35 am

Lets leave the birthing to the seas horses,plus i can just imagine your off spring deadsled,they would copy their dad and still wouldn't go a little deaper at low tide to find some nice things Laughing .

There are a couple of things about seahorses,they do not do well in heated conditions,eg-a hot house with no chiller on the tank.

If you want to keep the colour side of them good sometimes it is a good idea to place something bright coloured in the tank for them to hang onto and they may mimic some of that colour,fake weeds or coral,that sought of thing.

Along with captive bred foods used it is very easy to grow your own,protein rich brine shrimp by using natural foods to raise them,to keep the wild caught seahorses going.

You should never take a wild seahorse unless you are ready to have success.

It is a bit of work to keep seahorses,captive or wild caught,the properly home grown brine shrimp,not what you get in the shop, will start and sustain a wild caught seahorse every time!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down