South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clowns take advantage of power outage

3 posters

Go down

Clowns take advantage of power outage Empty Clowns take advantage of power outage

Post  mitch099 21st February 2014, 2:06 pm

Clowns take advantage of power outage <a href=Clowns take advantage of power outage 2014-02-21211339_zps7ea2fa0b" />
just thought I would use this as an attempt to start participating more in this forum.  

We lost power this arvo for about 3 hours and my maroon clowns couldn't help themselves.  hopefully I've managed to figure out how to post a photo of them.  The last batch managed to get to the hatching stage, but seem to hatch over 3 nights, but couldn't figure out what time they started hatching, so missed them.  hoping to try and get a little further this time, but not holding my breath as I'm a slow learner

mitch099

Back to top Go down

Clowns take advantage of power outage Empty Re: Clowns take advantage of power outage

Post  col@Eden 22nd February 2014, 12:01 am

Cool mitch, I always check this forum with great interest just joined for your thread.
Keep the updates coming, I am really curious how it goes  cheers  

col@Eden

Back to top Go down

Clowns take advantage of power outage Empty Re: Clowns take advantage of power outage

Post  liquidg 23rd February 2014, 11:05 am

Looks like you are well and truly getting the marine aquarium bug mate.
If you have any issues with how to place pics on the forum, just ask and help will be given.
Keep your part of the obsession coming mate, the more the merrier!
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  mitch099 23rd February 2014, 11:36 am

Thanks Liquidg for your offer of help

Col, I will try and provide some regular updates, as this is my first real attempt at trying to breed clownfish, I'm not expecting to be successful.
here's a pic of day 3, eggs are starting to change colour, and looks like the male has removed a few already.  sorry if the photo isn't clear, I had to hold the anemone back, whilst been bitten by one of the meanest clowns around.  if only she new the old saying about not biting the hand that feeds you.
Clowns take advantage of power outage <a href=Clowns take advantage of power outage 2014-02-23192643_zpsc589b2ea" />

mitch099

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 23rd February 2014, 1:29 pm

Lol,lol,such a bitch,lol.

They are shockers hey, personaly the premnas are not a favourite!

They aren't even an amphiprion, but I went with the yellow banded maroons when they came to auz and they would near leap out of the water to get me, let alone the aggression of the standard maroon.
Clown fish as in amphiprions are actually a damsel, but back in the day there was talk that the premnas was more so linked, before it evolved to live in anemones, to the chromis group?
An evolved chromis and a gill spine similar to an angelfish, makes it very interesting!
Nice colours as juveniles though.
Hey some years back I found that if you place something removable near where they lay, like in your case a section of glass leant on the glass behind the anemone, if they lay on it you can take the glass out and put in a separate tank and get a culture of phyto to feed the meat eating plankton to get a few juveniles up and running.
Just a thought.
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  mitch099 24th February 2014, 9:35 am

Thanks for the info Liquidg, I did have a feeling they weren't part of the traditional clownfish family but thought they were still a damsel. looks like I've got some more reading to do.
and thanks for the idea, I haven't tried glass yet, everything else I put near her anemone gets relocated very quickly, including rocks that are bigger than her. I will try and give the glass a go once these eggs are out of the way.

mitch099

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 24th February 2014, 10:16 am

There was another thing I tried once and it worked at %40 success.
Use a razor blade, “with gloves on,lol”, to scrape the eggs off and sit in very fine netting and place in very good flow with low light, they usually hatch at no light times.
I made up a marine grade stainless wire frame to hold it in shape so the netting didn’t collapse.
I made sure the cage, if you could call it that, had very good flow around it.
If the blade is not new, then the outer casing part that is attached to the surface of the eggs will be compromised and the eggs will not remain sealed.

Just be aware with many marine life forms and most other life forms, the outer egg is just to keep them safe from predators, its just a spot for them to grow in feeding off the sack they are attached to and the outer casing has holes in it for water to pass through.
So if they accidently come out or are squeezed out while still feeding off the sack, if nothing can harm them, its all good.
Good luck with it all.
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  mitch099 3rd March 2014, 12:01 pm

Just an update on how things went.  the little buggers didn't hatch when I expected them to, I got the night right, 7 days after laying but after waiting 2 1/2hrs after lights out and still nothing. I gave up and went to bed only to find the eggs all hatched overnight.
So now I've spent the last few days trying to explain to the missus why I needed all the extra equipment etc and now have nothing to show for it. oh well, there doesn't seem to be a month that goes by without her threatening to switch the tank off

mitch099

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 3rd March 2014, 12:20 pm

Just watch out for that rolling pin mate,lol,ouch!
Do you have pics of your hatching and grow out net/cage.
A floating one or one that hangs in the aquarium they came from. works really well.
Bunning's use to sell them a few years back,that was weird seeing them in there?
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down